Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Update

Sorry no pics for this update. Things are going ok. We are currently in the hospital for Shawns final chemotherapy before the transplant. In short, things could be going a little better. A few days before we came in Shawn started getting some neuropathy. This is tingling, burning, stabbing intense pain most common in hands and feet. His feet are hurting so bad he was soaking them in ice cold water to even get 1 or 2 hours of sleep at night. This however is not a good therapy to do all the time because it can start affecting circulation and making matters worse. We are currenlty battling and trying all sorts of other things to try and make this pain ease even just a little so he can sleep at night and be semi functional during the day. Any suggestions you have heard about neuropathy we are willing to try, we have researched a lot and tried a lot so far but are getting desperate.

Enough bad news, good news is that the transplant is officially scheduled!! He will go in around May 12 to start the pre transplant work ups, then a few days of chemo and then 6 days of radiation. Then on May 24th they will put the new bone marrow into Shawn. We are so fortunate to have a donor that is so willing to do this. Some of you have asked if we know the donor, no we do not. They contacted him (we do know its a male) through the bone marrow registry and his "identity" is confidential until a year or two after the transplant. We are so thankful to whoever he is though, he has no idea what a difference he will be making in our lives. So even though things are difficult right now for Shawn he remains positive and even trys to cheer me up from seeing him suffer. We have listened to several talks and read scriptures on the purpose of trials and the benefits of going through pain...they are good to put things into perspective and to remind us that there is no suffering that goes unnoticed by the Lord. We love you all and thank you for the continued love,support, and prayers!

7 comments:

Kota said...

I know you do not know me but I came across your blog and your story has inspired me! I am keeping you two in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything goes well with the transplant.

Emily Meyerhoffer said...

You are so amazing Erin!! Colton talked to Shawn today and we are hoping that we can see you two sometime really soon. We are for sure going to the Concert, but please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you guys! Have a great weekend :]

Alex said...

:) love you guys!

Heather said...

Erin you are an INCREDIBLE example of being positive though trials. You and Shawn are both AMAZING people. Love you :)

Natalie said...

Erin,
You don't know me but I went to school with Shawn. I recently heard about the troubles you are going through. My grandparents are in Shawn's parents ward and have been keeping us updated. I hope all goes well and Shawn will be feeling better soon. Also, congratulations with the pregnancy being a parent is pretty awesome!
-Natalie Green

Alisha Hansen said...

Hi Erin,
I emailed you about this but then read this post. Please go to www.everythingessential.me and look up neuropathy. Then let me know if I can help.

Warners said...

I have had pts with neuropathy and rubbing the affected areas with Biofreeze seemed to help. I think you can buy it online. It's like icy-hot but better. I hope you find something to help.